Tuesday, October 27, 2009

It was a graveyard smash

Rock n' roll and its accompanying imagery can be very creepy. When I was a kid, my dad went to a Grateful Dead concert and brought me a t-shirt as a souvenir. I was terrified of the skeleton printed on the front and refused to wear it. Also, I've never been a giant hippie, so there's that.

Why he didn't choose something with those adorable dancing bears for a seven-year-old girl is beyond me. I was always the skittish kid who, in Indiana, went through a phase of sleeping on top of my blankets because I was afraid tarantulas lurked at the bottom of my sheets. My fevered imagination didn't need any help from a dead guy on my clothes.

Back to the subject at hand....



Hand! Get it? Haha. Oh! I got you!


There are for sure plenty of rock posters out there ready and waiting to scare the crap out of you:

You've got your mummies...


And your wolves...


RAAAR! Don't forget monsters...


And a little ghostie (these last two were sort of cute, actually)...



Some poisoned candy. Very nice.



Tons and tons of skeletons (what is it with musicians and skeletons?). This one was just the scariest, I thought.


A spooky bird being grabbed by a sea monster tentacle...


Fun Halloweeny fun...and finally...

Clowns. Big-mouthed, cackling, going-to-eat-you clowns. Oh Jesus. Not clowns.

Not cool, Gig Posters. Not cool at all.

2 comments:

Designers' Brew said...

I love this post. Great images!

erin@designcrisis said...

Hell no to the clowns!

I am liking the Jesus Lizard poster, though...

Also, glad you're not much of a hippie, because hippies are truly frightening.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin