Thursday, November 04, 2010

The one that got away? Or dodging a bullet?

Promise that this will be my last Michigan-related post for a while!

Remember last post where I mentioned that I didn't buy anything because I didn't feel like there were any deals to be had. Well I almost did. We were in an antique mall where I spotted a very neat pull down map of the world. Unlike most classroom maps I've seen, it was rubberized in a slate color so you could write on it like a chalkboard.


Kind of like so.

I thought it was pretty cool, and Marc didn't outright hate it, but it was enough money that I didn't want to just buy it without some haggling, and I didn't have any clue as to what a fair price would be. That night, we researched some comps, but there wasn't much to be found, so I put it aside and told myself to forget about it.

That is, until the awesome little part of my brain that loves obsessive research started whining and I found myself searching for more comparables. This time was much more successful (thanks, fine and decorative art appraisal!). It turns out that the price, minus some minor haggling, would have been quite reasonable.

And now the facts get in the way:

1. I don't know if I want to drive back to Michigan, even if it is only 1 1/2 hours away. What if it's not there? When will I find time to go?
2. We need more stuff on our walls like I need another swan figurine (which is to say not at ALL)
3. Um, this


Seriously, Restoration Hardware? I fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it) found this while researching. Maybe I'm being a snob, but this makes the real deal map (and by extension me) feel so much dorkier.

What's in store for me? A roadtrip, or spitballs in my general direction?

4 comments:

Back Garage said...

Woah -- and that Restoration Hardware bit is $799. Shiiiiieeeeeeee!

Alison said...

I know!!! Way more spendy than the real thing. That store is out of control.

erin@designcrisis said...

In cases like these, I always turn to Ebay for the answer. Because I am lazy and hate to drive.

Alison said...

For sure the driving sucks, but the who restoration hardware thing makes me doubt that i even want one in the first place, you know?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin