Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Recording bloopers

I have always loved the Morning News sidebar with their often off-the-beaten-path news links. This one is great: 10 Reocording Bloopers that Made the Album.

One I noticed a few years ago: On "Steven's Last Night in Town" from the Ben Folds Five album Whatever & Ever Amen, you can hear a cordless phone ring in the background at 2:55.

Whoa. I just did a quick Googole search, and it's mentioned in the album's Wikipedia entry:

The album, recorded in Folds' rented house in Chapel Hill, has several lo-fi occurrences. A phone ring can be heard at approximately 2:54 in "Steven's Last Night in Town"; Ben Folds has said the ring was a friend calling from Minnesota, but it came at such a perfect timing, the band decided to leave it in the song. Robert can be heard laughing slightly after it rings as well. Crickets can also be heard in the background of "Cigarette".

Interesting. Guess I'm late to the party on this one.

I feel like there's some other song by another band that catches a dog barking in the background, but I can't remember what it is. It's going to drive me nuts...Any ideas?

1 comment:

The [Cherry] Ride said...

Can't help you with the dog barking one.

One of my all-time favorite records, "Living with Ghosts" by Patty Griffin was recorded in her living room and you can hear cars driving by out her window.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin