Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Get this!

Since Sunday, I've been picking through the music I ripped from my dad, which means I can now listen to "Rosalinda's Eyes" while getting nostalgic for Bill Haverchuck and rocket launches without having to be near a DVD player to watch Freaks and Geeks.

(Looks like I'm not the only one with a special soft spot for "Carded and Discarded." Fun fact: Did you know that all of the Geeks' scenes with the lovely Maureen are set to Billy Joel songs? Fun fact 2: Did you know my favorite Billy Joel song is "Only the Good Die Young?" I love to go to Barleycorn with my friends and get wasted and sing along to it...just kidding. It's "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant." And, in the spirit of full disclosure, I've never been to Barleycorn, so I don't even know if they do that there.)

ANYWAY, another great album I got was "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" by Jimmy Smith.


Recorded in 1964, my Dad told me he had the LP at one point and loved it so much he had to go out and find the CD. It's good. Like jazzy big band. CD is hard to find, but it's available on iTunes.

Here, this site says it better:
"This is one of the best lps Jimmy Smith ever made and features-of course-the dance floor wipe out of "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf ".Championed by DJs far and wide for more than two decades if this doesn't get you moving you must be dead (or more likely a watcher of the X Factor!!)
The rest of the lp is excellent with a great version of "Slaughter on Tenth Avenue"and the modal waltz of "Wives and Lovers" along with "Bluesette" and "Women of the World".Barnstorming stuff-get some Jimmy Smith into your life!"

Go on'n get it. Take it from me--and not the Tucker Max-reading frat boy on the Megabus who tried to convince me seeing "Dave" 40 times was a worthwhile pursuit.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin