Friday, July 10, 2009

A fungus amongus

Argh! So sorry I didn’t think to take a picture of this, but we have a HUGE mother-in-law’s tongue plant behind the sink in our kitchen. Last night, I peered over the top and saw something bright yellow peeking out. I reached in, thinking it was a sponge that somehow had gotten dropped in the planter.

But nooo.

It was a mushroom! There were three of them. Kind of like this: (Image from Pam Sattler)

I love plants, but I’m not so sure I want to be creating the set of Biodome 2 in my kitchen. I’m sorry to say the mushrooms completely skeeved me out, so into the dumpster went the mushrooms and out on the deck went the plant.

After a little research, I determined they were Leucocoprinus birnbaumii, aka Leiota lutea, aka the yellow houseplant mushroom. They sound pretty harmless, but I’m still going to try to get rid of them.

But first, I’ll take a picture if they come back.

Any fungi stories for us? And sorry, no want wants to hear about your athlete’s foot.

1 comment:

Kathie said...

Get rid of them? I'd take a pot full of cool yellow mushrooms over a mother-in-law's tongue any day...! (BTW, nice blog you've got here)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin